The McHenry County Circuit Clerk provides customized forms available at www.illinoisprotectionorder.org to assist parties interested in obtaining a protection order. This website was designed by the DuPage County Circuit Clerk's office and is used in numerous Illinois counties to assist residents in the process of obtaining protection orders. Answering the questions on the website will assist you in determining whether you qualify for an Order of Protection, Civil No Contact Order or Stalking No Contact Order, based on your situation and Illinois statutes. There are no fees charged for obtaining an Order of Protection, or for the service of that Order.
Does my situation meet the requirements for an Order of Protection?
STEPS FOR OBTAINING A PROTECTION ORDER
1. Go to www.illinoisprotectionorder.org and follow the steps for completing your petition for a protection order. The website will give you a "receipt number" which will allow you to save your petition and return to it as many times as necessary.
2. Print your confirmation from the website, or make note of your "receipt number", which will assist Courthouse staff in locating your petition.
3. Complete the following additional forms where applicable to bring with you to the Courthouse:
· LEADS Entry Guide – Required to be completed for all protection orders, used to provide information to law enforcement if your protection order is granted.
· CERTIFICATE Child Custody Proceeding – Required by the Court to be completed if there are any children to be protected by the protection order
· REQUEST FOR NOTICE to Schools and/or Daycare Facilities – Required if you will be requesting that your children’s school and/or daycare facility be notified of the protection order
4. Go to the McHenry County Government Center, where Turning Point advocates are located in Room 351 and may be able to assist you. With your “receipt number” advocates can access your petition and help you complete it. They can also assist you through the process of obtaining a protection order.
5. If you do not need Turning Point’s assistance, once your petition is completed, the next step is to go to the McHenry County Circuit Clerk's Civil Division in Room 356 on the third floor of the McHenry County Government Center. You will be asked to sign your name on a signature pad. At that point the petition will be considered filed, a case number will be assigned and the information will be forwarded to a judge for review. If the judge approves your petition, at that point you will be granted a protection order.