Election Judge Manual update 2016 - Download the Election Judge manual
What is an Election Judge?
Election Judges are responsible for the administration of election procedures in the poling place on election day. They are in the position of ensuring that the election process is administered fairly and in accordance with our laws.
What are the Duties and Responsibilities of an Election Judge?
What are the qualifications necessary to be an Election Judge?
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be of good repute and character;
- be able to speak, read and write the English language;
- be skilled in the four fundamental rules of mathematics;
- be of good understanding and capable; and
- not be a candidate for any office in the election and not be elected committeeman.
What are some of the duties of an Election Judge?
- to open and close the polls;
- to be responsible for all election materials;
- to ensure that only qualified voters are permitted to vote and that each qualified voter is permitted to vote once and only once;
- to ensure that all votes are cast in secret;
- to give instructions in the method of voting when requested by a voter;
- to give assistance to illiterate and physically disabled voters;
- to maintain order in the polling place throughout the day;
- to tally the vote after the polls are closed; and
- to certify the election results in that precinct.
How may I become an Election Judge?
Fill out an application form for one of the following positions available and email a signed copy to the County Clerk's office at email@example.com or mail it to the County Clerk's office at the address on the top of the form. The Clerk's office will contact you once the application has been processed.Election Judge Form (PDF)
Technical Judge Form (PDF)
High School Student Judge Form (PDF)