January Action of the Month: Wireless Emergency Alerts
Weather-Ready Action of the Month: Resolve to stay alert to dangerous weather! Make sure Wireless Emergency Alerts are enabled on your mobile phone. These alerts can save your life! If you haven't turned them off, great! You're already weather-ready! If you know you turned them off in the past or aren't sure, go into your phone’s settings and check your notifications to make sure these alerts are turned on.
More information about Wireless alerts is available here: www.weather.gov/wirelessalerts
For more ways to stay informed check out "Staying INFORMED"
Are you ready for the winter?
Here are some resources to keep you prepared and informed this winter season. For more preparedness information visit us at McHenryAware.com
- Winter Weather - National Weather Service
- Winter Storms & Extreme Cold - Ready.gov
- Winter Road Conditions - IDOT
- Winter Storms - Ready Illinois
Due to 2014 outbreak in West Africa and first confirmed case and fatality in the US, Ebola is getting a lot of news coverage. Below you will find links to various resources available from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as information from the McHenry County Department of Health regarding the Ebola Virus Disease.
- For Individuals
- For Health Care Providers
- CDC Travel Advisories
Visit McHenry County Department of Health for more information
Are you Prepared?
McHenry County Emergency Management Agency would like to remind you that now is the perfect time to review your Family’s Emergency Plan and check the supplies in your Emergency Kit or to take some time and create these life-saving tools. We all know first-hand the impact severe weather can have, whether it is flooding, winter weather or heat advisory. No matter what the disaster is, there are simple preparedness steps that anyone can take to protect themselves and their loved ones in a time of need. To assist the community with this effort the Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Regional Catastrophic Planning Team (IL-IN-WI RCPT) has launched Gear Up, Get Ready campaign to encourage households to take key steps in family preparedness. This mission encompasses 19 counties and communities in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin.
By taking a few simple steps ahead of time, you and your family can be ready when disaster strikes:
- Make a Family Emergency Plan decide how you will reconnect with each other, list important information and phone numbers and discuss the plan with all members and post it in your home where visitors can view it.
- Gather supplies for an Emergency Kit and put them in one place to meet your family’s needs for three days. You may already have three days of food already within your home. Top five items include, water, non-perishable food, battery powered radio, flashlight & extra batteries and a first aid kit. Be sure to meet the specific needs of your family and pets.
211 Service Launched in McHenry County
The 211 service streamlines access to health and human services for McHenry County residents. When an individual needs information or referral services for which they have little or no prior knowledge or experience, dialing 211 is a simple option. Once the individual dials 211, they will be connected to a call center where they will speak to a professional information and referral specialist who will refer or connect the caller to the appropriate agency.
No events scheduled at this time.