Click Here to See Our Adoptable Pets!
Cats, Dogs - $80 There is a 10 day trial period for any animal adopted from McHenry County Animal Control. If the adopter is unable to keep their pet for any reason, the animal must be returned within 10 days for a full refund or the option to select another pet. Please note that refunds can take up to two weeks to process through the county system and if the original fee was paid by check, the refund may not be processed until the check has cleared.
All dogs and cats --
• spayed or neutered unless surgery is contraindicated prior to adoption
• given age appropriate vaccines including distemper, bordetella and rabies
• dewormed and receive prophylactic treatment for fleas and ticks.
All dogs six months and older have been tested for heartworm. All cats eight weeks and older have been tested for FeLV and FIV.
All adopters are given a folder of information that includes a coupon for a free physical exam at a participating veterinary clinic. Examination does not cover any required or recommended inoculations, tests or treatments. If any medical problems are identified, the adopter must call Animal Control at 815-459-6222 before any treatment is given. Also included is a rabies certificate, microchip certificate, copy of the adoption contract, disclosure of medical records, and educational material for their new pet.
Adopters are required to sign an adoption contract, agreeing to the following conditions:
1) the animal will be examined by a veterinarian of their choice within 7 days of adoption
2) provide the animal with the necessary food, water, shelter and veterinary care as needed
3) abide by state and county laws pertaining to animals
4) will not use the animal for any type of experimentation, vivisection, or fighting
5) If applicable (in special cases if animal cannot be spayed and neutered before adoption), to pay a sterilization deposit and to have the animal spayed/neutered as required by state law by the date shown on the adoption paperwork. If they do not comply, the deposit will be forfeited. If they are no longer able to keep this animal, they must have the surgery performed before they give the animal away. Failure to spay or neuter the animal will result in further action, up to and including seizure of the animal.
If an Adopter is unable to keep the animal, the animal may be returned within 10 days of adoption for a full refund or to exchange for another pet. If an Adopter returns the animal after 10 days, the adoption fee is forfeited and a relinquish fee applies. Adopter releases and discharges McHenry County Animal Control forever from liability, for any injury or damages to any person or property caused by this animal after adoption, and from any causes of action, claims, suits or demands whatsoever that may arise as a result of such injury or damages.
McHenry County Animal Control makes no actual or implied warranty as to the health or behavior of this animal, nor to the suitability of these animals as a pet in adopter’s homes.