The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
What is WIC?
WIC’s mission is to safeguard the health of low-income women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutrition risk by providing to participants at no charge:
- Information on healthy eating – nutrition counseling, evaluation and education
- Breastfeeding support, education and breast pumps
- Health screenings
- Referrals to health and other social services
- Coupons for nutritious foods to supplement diets redeemable at local grocery stores, additionally during the summer months at local Farmer’s Markets
To be eligible applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Pregnant (certified for the duration of pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth of infant or end of the pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (up to the infant’s 1st birthday)
- Postpartum (Non-breastfeeding are eligible for certification up to 6 months after the birth of the infant or the end of the pregnancy)
- Infants (up to 1st birthday)
- Children (up to 5th birthday)
- Income qualification is based on household income and family size:
- Income must be less than or equal to 185% of the US Poverty Income Guidelines. Example: as of July 2016, a family of 4 can earn $865 per week/$44,955 per year and/or have SNAP (food stamps) or TANF.
- Reside in Illinois, preferably McHenry County
- Demonstrate a nutritional risk
Call (815) 334-4505 for more information or to schedule an appointment at a location nearest you.
What do I need to bring to my WIC appointment?
In order to be certified on the WIC program applicants must bring:
- Proof of Residency (ex. utility bill, current posted mail)
- Proof of Income (ex. 2 check stubs, "Notice of Decision" from SNAP or TANF, 1040 form, W-2 form)
- Proof of Birth
- Child/ children
- Social Security Number
- Immunization Records of child/children
Where is WIC located in McHenry County?
- Woodstock (Main Office): 2200 N Seminary Avenue, Building B
Open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm, later hours available upon request
- Harvard: at Harvard Community Health Center, 62 North Ayer St, Suite A & B Phone: (815) 943-7784
- Open Monday 9:00am - 5:30pm and Thursday of each week, 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Crystal Lake: 100 N Virginia Street (US Route 14), Crystal Lake
Phone: (815) 334-1498
Open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm, earlier or later hours available upon request
- McHenry: at McHenry Community Health Center 3901 Mercy Drive, McHenry
Phone: (815) 215-1240
Open Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday each week 8:00am – 4:30pm