What is Tuberculosis (TB)?
Tuberculosis (TB) is a contagious bacterial disease transmitted through the air by inhaling the droplets from someone infected with the disease who has coughed, laughed, sneezed or sung.
- Persistent cough lasting over 3 weeks
- Coughing up phlegm and/or blood
- Night sweats
- Chest pain
- Weight loss
TB infection occurs in two forms:
- Active – Contagious, can spread to other people
- Latent (LTBI) - Sleeping, cannot spread to other people
Anyone may become infected with TB, some individuals are at greater risk than others. Visit http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/risk.htm for complete information for at risk individuals.
1 & 2 Step Mantoux Skin Testing:
- Visit http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/testing/skintesting.htm for complete information about TB skin testing
- Why do I need a 2 Step TB test? Sometimes your body's immune system can "forget" about a past TB infection so when an infected individual is tested the first time there will be no reaction. The first test can quietly wake up the cells that forgot about TB so that when tested a second time, there will be a reaction and the test will be positive.
Two-step testing is useful for the initial skin testing of adults who are going to be retested periodically, such as health care workers or nursing home residents.
Interferon-Gamma Release Assay (IGRA) Testing (T-SPOT):
- Visit http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/testing/IGRA.htm for complete information about IGRA TB testing.
Any McHenry County resident with a positive skin or IGRA test will have a follow-up evaluation that may include, x-ray, sputum collection for testing, medication, physician visit(s), and clinic visits (medical treatment averages 9 months).
Non McHenry County residents with positive test will be referred to their County of residence for follow-up.
Clinic Hours and Testing Rates:
8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday by appointment only, call 815-334-4500.
1 Step Skin Test $10.00
2 Step Skin Test $20.00
IGRA (T SPOT) $60.00