Not sure if you need a permit for your proposed work? If your project meets any of the seven regulated development criteria, a Stormwater Management Permit is required. If you would like to contact the Water Resources Division with your questions, please visit our office, call us at 815-334-4560, or e-mail the division.
Additional permit documents may be found on our "Do I Need a Stormwater Management Permit?" page by clicking here.
Documents and Information
- Stormwater Management Permit Packet and Application
- Stormwater Management Permit Application - fillable pdf
- Stormwater Permit Application Checklist
- Stormwater Expedited Review Procedure
- Stormwater Fees, effective August 1, 2015
- Stormwater Management Ordinance, effective April 5, 2016
- Stormwater Management Ordinance Amendments, effective April 5, 2016
- Stormwater Technical Reference Manual
- Certified Community List
- McHenry County Enforcement Officers and Community Contacts
- McHenry County Wetland Specialists
- SMO Ordinance Adoption Template
- Certified Community Annual Report Template
- Thresholds for Regulated Development
- Site Plan Form
- Stormwater Management Permit Special Conditions
- Standard Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Notes & Standard Drain Tile Notes
- Maintenance Plan (template)
- Deed Restriction (template)
- 50 Percent Rule Form
- Elevation Certificate (FEMA form)
- Letter of Map Amendment Information (FEMA website)
- Online Mapping Program (PlanDev Viewer)
- Watershed Map
- Floodplain Resources
- FEMA Map Service Center
- USGS - McHenry County Groundwater, Surface Water & Rain Gage Network Webpage
- USGS - McHenry County Groundwater Watch Webpage
The McHenry County Stormwater Management Ordinance may be purchased at the Department of Planning and Development or downloaded from this page.
Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) are maps prepared by FEMA that depict the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) within a community. These maps are available from FEMA Map Service Center, a Division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Map Service Center.
Stormwater Management Commission
The purpose of the McHenry County Stormwater Management Commission (SMC) is to manage and mitigate the effects of development on stormwater runoff in McHenry County by enforcing a countywide Stormwater Management Ordinance that sets minimum standards for floodplain and stormwater management.
The Commission meets the fourth Thursday of every other month at 8:15 a.m. at the McHenry County Administration Building, 667 Ware Rd., Woodstock.
Click here to view the Stormwater Management Commission meeting dates, including agendas and minutes.
Technical Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) is to assist the McHenry County Stormwater Management Commission by providing technical recommendations on matters such as amendments to the Stormwater Management Ordinance and the Technical Reference Manual.
The Committee meets the fourth Thursday of every month at 9:30 a.m. at the McHenry County Administration Building, 667 Ware Rd., Woodstock.
Click here to view the Technical Advisory Committee meeting dates, including agendas and minutes.
2016 Stormwater Management Ordinance Resources and Training
2015 Stormwater Management Ordinance Resources and Training
- Certified Community and Enforcement Officer Presentation
- Non-Certified Community Presentation
- Township Highway Supervisors Presentation
- Agricultural Community Presentation
- Consultants/Engineers/Architects/Contractors/Septic Designers Presentation
- Homeowners Associations & Watershed Groups Presentation
- Comprehensive Revision Process Website