What is MCRide?
The dial-a-ride services in McHenry County have been combined into one coordinated service called MCRide. This has made it easier for suburban commuters, seniors and persons with disabilities to schedule and use dial-a-ride services in McHenry County. MCRide has improved access to jobs, schools and has provided greater mobility to all individuals. This service receives a portion of its funding from the Federal Transit Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation through grants administered by the RTA.
For more detailed program information, check out the MCRide "How to Ride" Brochure (PDF) and Rider's Guide (PDF). Para Información de MCRide: Guia del Viajero a los MCRide Dial-a-Ride Servicio de Transporte.
Who Do I Call?
Call 800-451-4599 to schedule a ride. Select "McHenry County" from the automated prompt and a live person will help you to schedule a ride. Always make sure to schedule your return trip at the same time as your original trip. Seniors and individuals with a disability can reserve trips up to seven days in advance. The general public (everyone else) can reserve their trips 24 hours in advance.
When Can I Ride?
MCRide operates according to the schedule below. There is no service on Sunday or Holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day).
|Monday - Friday||6:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Saturday||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
How Much is a Ride?
PLEASE NOTE: ON APRIL 1, 2017 THE BASE FARE HAS INCREASED TO $2.50 FOR GENERAL PUBLIC AND $1.25 FOR SENIORS AND PEOPLE WITH A DISABILITY. EACH ADDITIONAL MILE WILL REMAIN AT $0.25.
|Base Fare||First 5 Miles||Each Additional Mile|
|Individual with a Disability||$1.25||$0.25|
For example, a 7-mile one-way trip from Woodstock to Crystal Lake will cost $3.00.
Where Can I Ride?
All individuals (general public) are eligible for travel to and from the following locations (these are the green areas on the map and do not need to be contiguous):
- City of Crystal Lake
- City of Harvard
- City of Marengo
- City of McHenry
- City of Woodstock
- Village of Huntley (including Kane County)
- Village of Johnsburg
- Village of Ringwood
- Marengo Township
- Riley Township
- Fox Lake Metra Station
- Valley Hi Nursing Home
- McHenry County Division of Transportation
- Park-and-Ride in Lake in the Hills
- Within three-quarters of a mile of:
- Route 120 between Woodstock and McHenry
- Route 14 between Woodstock and Crystal Lake
- Route 31 between Crystal Lake and McHenry
Seniors (60+) and people with disabilities are eligible for trips to and from these additional locations (these are the green and yellow areas on the map and do not need to be contiguous):
- Dorr Township
- Grafton Township
- Greenwood Township
- Nunda Township
- McHenry Township
What Else Should I Know?
- Individuals 60 years and older are eligible for the senior fare.
- Up to two children 7 years or younger can ride free per fare paying adult.
- Transfers will be allowed from the fixed bus routes only (routes 806, 807, 808, and 550 for example).
- Transfer cards will no longer be sold on the MCRide dial-a-ride service. Transfers will continue to be sold on the fixed bus routes.
- Pace passes and the Ventra app are not be accepted on MCRide.
- To reserve a ride on this service call 800-451-4599 or (TTY) 888-847-0093, Monday through Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (for Saturday service only).
- For questions or comments about this service, call the McHenry County Division of Transportation at 815-334-4981. An online form is also available. Click here to access the online transit customer service form.
- To sign up for periodic e-mail updates about this service, subscribe here.
- Formal service compliments and complaints may be registered through Pace's Customer Relations at 800-606-1282 or (TTY) 847-364-5093.
Title VI Program Notice
No person in the United States shall on the ground of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal Financial assistance. (42 USC 2000d)
Asimismo se le informa que sus datos no podrán ser difundidos sin su consentimiento expreso, salvo las excepciones previstas en la Ley. Lo anterior, de conformidad con lo establecido mediante acuerdo Title VI de la Civil Rights (Título VI de los Derechos de Civiles) Act de 1964.
To file a Title VI complaint on the grounds of race, color, or national origin please download the following form and follow the instructions. The final MCRide Title VI Program can be found here, which includes the grievance and appeals process.
- Pace Suburban Bus Services
- Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)
- Transit Map for Lake-McHenry Counties (RTA)
- Metra (Commuter Rail)
- Ride In Kane
- Ride Lake County