What is MCRide?
The dial-a-ride services in McHenry County have been combined into one coordinated service called MCRide. This has made it easier for suburban commuters, seniors and persons with disabilities to schedule and use dial-a-ride services in McHenry County. MCRide has improved access to jobs, schools and has provided greater mobility to all individuals. This service receives a portion of its funding from the Federal Transit Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation through grants administered by the RTA.
For more detailed program information, check out the MCRide Brochure (.pdf) and Rider's Guide (.pdf). Para Información de MCRide: Guia del Viajero a los MCRide Dial-a-Ride Servicio de Transporte.
MCRide User Testimonial
Who Do I Call?
Call 800-451-4599 to schedule a ride. Select "McHenry County" from the automated prompt and a live person will help you to schedule a ride. Always make sure to schedule your return trip at the same time as your original trip. Seniors and individuals with a disability can reserve trips up to seven days in advance. The general public (everyone else) can reserve their trips 24 hours in advance.
When Can I Ride?
MCRide operates according to the schedule below. There is no service on Sunday or Holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day).
|Monday - Friday||6:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Saturday||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
How Much is a Trip?
|Base Fare||First 5 Miles||Each Additional Mile|
|Individual with a Disability||$1.25||$0.25|
For example, a 7-mile one-way trip for a general public rider will cost $3.00.
Where Can I Ride?
All individuals (general public) are eligible for travel to/from/within the following locations (these are the green areas on the map and do not need to be contiguous):
- City of Crystal Lake
- City of Harvard
- City of Marengo
- City of McHenry
- City of Woodstock
- Village of Huntley (including Kane County)
- Village of Johnsburg
- Village of Richmond
- Village of Ringwood
- Marengo Township
- Riley Township
- Within three-quarters of a mile of:
- Route 120 between Woodstock and McHenry
- Route 14 between Woodstock and Crystal Lake
- Route 31 between Crystal Lake and McHenry
Additionally, everyone (general public) can travel to and from the following point destinations:
- Lake in the Hills Park-and-Ride
- McHenry County Conservation District Sites
- Brookdale Conservation Area
- Glacial Park-Lost Valley Visitor Center
- The Hollows Conservation Area
- McHenry County Division of Transportation
- Valley Hi Nursing Home
- Transfer points to Lake County
- Fox Lake Metra Station
- Island Foods in Island Lake
- Walgreens in Lakemoor
Seniors (60+) and individuals with disabilities are eligible for trips to and from these additional locations (these are the green and tan areas on the map and do not need to be contiguous):
- Chemung Township
- Dorr Township
- Grafton Township
- Greenwood Township
- Nunda Township
- McHenry Township
- Richmond Township
What Else Should I Know?
- Individuals 60 years and older are eligible for the senior fare.
- Up to two children 7 years or younger can ride free per fare paying adult.
- Transfers will be allowed from the fixed bus routes only (routes 806, 807, 808, and 550 for example).
- Transfer cards will no longer be sold on the MCRide dial-a-ride service. Transfers will continue to be sold on the fixed bus routes.
- Pace passes and the Ventra app are not be accepted on MCRide.
- For riders that need to make the same trips at the same times each week, MCRide offers a limited number of "subscriptions." Subscriptions eliminate the need for contacting the Call Center to book recurring trips.
- To get a subscription for recurring trips, you must first demonstrate the reliability of your travel by riding to the same place at the same time at least twice a week for an extended duration.
- After that, each time you call to make a reservation, ask the Call Center staff if you can be placed on subscription.
- Because there are limited subscriptions for each time slot/hour, it may take a while before one becomes available - especially if you are travelling during peak times.
- To reserve a ride on this service call 800-451-4599 or (TTY) 888-847-0093, Monday through Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Because of low staff levels, onlyfor Saturday service only).
- For questions or comments about this service, call the McHenry County Division of Transportation at 815-334-4981. An online form is also available. Click here to access the online transit customer service form.
- To sign up for periodic e-mail updates about this service, subscribe here.
- Formal service compliments and complaints may be registered through Pace's Customer Relations at 800-606-1282 or (TTY) 847-364-5093.
Title VI Program Notice
No person in the United States shall on the ground of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal Financial assistance. (42 USC 2000d)
Asimismo se le informa que sus datos no podrán ser difundidos sin su consentimiento expreso, salvo las excepciones previstas en la Ley. Lo anterior, de conformidad con lo establecido mediante acuerdo Title VI de la Civil Rights (Título VI de los Derechos de Civiles) Act de 1964.
To file a Title VI complaint on the grounds of race, color, or national origin please download the following form and follow the instructions. The final MCRide Title VI Program can be found here, which includes the grievance and appeals process.
- Pace Suburban Bus Services
- Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)
- Transit Map for Lake-McHenry Counties (RTA)
- Metra (Commuter Rail)
- Ride In Kane
- Ride Lake County