The Veterans Assistance Commission of McHenry County Provides services to the local veterans community in the areas of Financial Assistance, VA Claims & Advocacy, Transportation to the North Chicago VA Medical Center, and Referrals Assistance.
Financial assistance is available to eligible Honorably discharged veterans and eligible immediate family members, and the eligible surviving spouse of an Honorably discharged veteran
- Shelter: Rental or Mortgage assistance is paid directly to landlords / mortgage companies on behalf of eligible veterans. We can assist placing homeless veterans into motels, hotels, or appropriate shelters.
- Utilities: Payments can be made for electric, heat, water & sewage, trash removal, and medically required telephone service.
- Food & Household Items: We can provide food vouchers for groceries, hygiene products, and household cleaning supplies.
- Transportation: Fuel vouchers are available to assist eligible veterans with proof of insurance.
- Independent Living: We can help veterans remain independent longer by assisting with payments to Independent Living Services.
The Veterans Assistance Commission works closely with numerous Federal, State, and Local agencies. The VAC will work with clients to identify their needs and provide information about agencies that can help.
VA Claims & Advocacy
Military Service Members returning to civilian life and older veterans alike are strongly encouraged to visit a Veterans Service Officer to review VA benefits. Our Veterans Service Officers are accredited by the VA to prepare, present, and prosecute claims for VA Disability and Pension benefits on behalf of veterans and/or their families. We are also available to assist with identifying and applying for other benefits or programs offered by the VA such as VA Healthcare.
There are many other programs and services not administered by the VA which veterans and/or their family members may be eligible. We can help identify benefits the veteran and/or the veteran’s family can use.
VA Medical Center Transportation Service
The Veterans Assistance Commission provides transportation service to the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center (Lovell FHCC)
. This service is provided to honorably discharged veterans who are residents of McHenry County. Enrolled veterans must inform the VAC office of appointments at Lovell FHCC no later than 11:00 am the business day before the appointment (815-334-0303). The VA will not tell the Veterans Assistance Commission if there are upcoming appointments for which the veteran needs transportation. Veterans are picked up from locations in Woodstock, McHenry, and Crystal Lake.
A family member may be permitted to ride along in order to assist the veteran.
Volunteer Opportunities are available to individuals wishing to assist our local veterans. If you are interested in helping local veterans please call at (815) 334-4229.
Speakers are available for presentations on VA Benefits such as Aid & Attendance, VA Disability Compensation, the VA Home Loan Guarantee, as well as services offered by the Veterans Assistance Commission and the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs